Our top 10 tips to help keep the pests out!
Fall is here, and what’s not to love about it? The changing color of the leaves, cooler weather, decorating for Halloween, picking that perfect pumpkin, gathering around the table for a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner and watching your favorite football team on TV – fall truly is the perfect season. But there is something that can put a damper on the holidays: pests!
Our top trouble-making fall pests are spiders, rodents, roaches and various insects, which will seek refuge from the cold in garages, sheds and even your home during the cooler months. In order to keep these pests outside where they belong, we’ve listed the top ten ways to discourage them from coming inside.
1. Exterior intrusions : Seal up cracks and crevices outside of your home. Don’t overlook main breaker boxes, water inlets and exterior stucco cracks.
2. Interior intrusions: Inspect under sinks, especially around pipes and water-supply lines where they meet the wall.
3. Inspect for leaks: Examine under your sink and around your toilet for leaks or additional moisture.
4. Inspect exterior doors and screens: Make sure all exterior doors have a door sweep installed, as pests can enter easily without anyone present. Screens with tears or holes should be repaired.
5. Firewood: Keep your firewood away from your home. Pests will climb stacks to gain access to your residence, and will use stacked firewood for refuge.
6. Trees and shrubs: Make sure tree limbs and shrubs are kept trimmed away from your home.
7. Food storage: Food should be stored in airtight containers.
8. Keep things tidy: By keeping your living and non-living areas tidy, you’ll discourage pests from making your home theirs.
9. Trash areas: Keep your trash areas clean by bagging your trash in plastic bags.
10. If you suspect you have a pest issue, contact your local Clark Pest Control service center to help identify the problem.