How much is a termite inspection worth to you and your home? When you consider how these silent, elusive insects cause more than $5 billion in damage annually in the United States, Clark, your neighborly pest control expert, says: quite a bit.
Termites can go undetected for years in the soil. They work their damage while hiding under, or adjacent to, or hidden in the wood inside your home.
Preventing and eliminating termites requires special skills, including knowledge of how buildings are constructed, to identify hidden and often difficult-to-access areas where termites are likely to enter and establish nests.
Only 25 to 35 percent of the interior space of a typical home is accessible to inspect for termites. That leaves 65 percent of a structure available to termites and wood-destroying pests (wood borers, carpenter ants and carpenter bees) to go about their destructive behavior undetected.
Having your home inspected annually for termites and other wood-destroying pests by a trained professional, who knows where to look and what to look for, will give you the peace of mind you deserve.
Clark Pest Control termite inspectors focus their expert eyes on the most vulnerable areas of a structure. With 40 percent of subterranean termite infestations originating at utility entrances through slabs, along with settlement and expansion cracks in the slab, our inspectors start at the foundation and work their way up, examining every crack, crevice, and potential termite entry point.
If our inspectors identify the presence of termites or wood-destroying pests and organisms in your home, they first will determine the source of the infestation and then will provide you with treatment recommendations. They also will make recommendations for any necessary repairs resulting from damage as a result of the infestation.
Termite prevention tips
In addition to scheduling an annual termite inspection, you can help protect your home from destructive termites and other wood-destroying pests by taking these preventive actions:
- Routinely inspect the foundation of your home for signs of termite damage, and fill in any cracks in your masonry or concrete.
- Divert moisture away from your home’s foundation by installing properly functioning downspouts, gutters, and splash blocks.
- When watering your lawn, don't sprinkle stucco or wood siding.
- Reduce humidity in crawl spaces with proper ventilation.
- Trim vines, hedges, and other vegetation to prevent them from blocking vents.
- Remove old form boards, grade stakes, tree trunks, and roots near your home, as they can attract termites.
- Maintain an 18-inch gap between soil and any wood portions of your home.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from the house. Check it for pests before bringing it indoors.
To schedule a termite inspection for your home, call or text Clark, California’s trusted, friendly termite management expert, at (800) WE-NEED-YOU (936-3339) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Until next time, the pest management professionals at Clark Pest Control thank you for helping to keep unwanted pests out of your home.