Fun with bugs? That's right! Clark Pest Control has developed a program for schoolchildren (grades three through six) to share fun facts and interact with some of the coolest bugs on the planet.
This interactive program provides an entertaining and educational introduction to the fascinating world of arthropods. Among topics covered are during the hour-long presentation are:
- Insect and spider anatomy
- Where our Bug Zoo pets live
- How they defend themselves naturally
- What insects and arachnids eat
- Each species' technical (binomial) name
This program is a free service provided by Clark Pest Control, and is offered to private and public schools.
After students listen to the presentation, they are divided into small groups to participate in station activities, including the Bug-ology page, Bug Match, Bug Discovery, and a visit to the table in small groups to view each specimen that was discussed in the presentation.
The Bug Zoo display includes:
- Tarantulas: Aviculara versicolor, Chaco golden knee, and rose hair tarantulas, which stay in a protected enclosure; tarantulas may be taken out by a trained Clark Bug Zoo handler for an up-close view
- Scorpions: African flat rock scorpion, with handling done by the Bug Zoo handler
- Hissing cockroaches: Due to their docile behavior and cleanliness, students may be able to handle one or view it up close on its handler's hand
- Cave spider (tail-less whip scorpion): Students may view it up close while being held by a handler
- Vinegaroon (whip scorpion): Due to their docile behavior, students may choose to hold it or view it on the handler's hand
The presentation will conclude, time permitting, with a handling demo of an adult female Chaco golden knee tarantula. Petting is allowed to those who want to participate, and backpacks with insect tattoos, an activity and coloring booklet, and more will be provided.
For more information on scheduling a Bug Zoo visit to your school, please contact Clark Pest Control’s head Zoo keeper, Fred Speer, at email@example.com
If you have questions or concerns about pests in and around your home, call or text (800) WE-NEED-YOU (936-3339) or drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Until next time I’m the Clark Man, and thanks for helping me keep unwanted pests out of your home.