You’ve probably seen the long-running MasterCard TV commercial that describes special moments as “priceless.” Dealing with pests – especially subterranean, drywood, or dampwood termites – would hardly be described as a priceless moment. That’s why, Clark, your friendly pest control, termite, and lawn care expert, encourages you to have your home inspected for termites.
How much is a termite inspection worth? If you consider that termites cause more than $5 billion in damage annually to homes in the United States, having a professional termite inspection performed on your home is indeed priceless.
Termites are known for their ability to infest a home with very little fanfare. They can go undetected for years in the soil under or adjacent to your home, or inside the wood on its exterior or interior. As a result, by the time you realize that your home has termites, the damage has been done.
Preventing and eliminating termites requires the services of a highly trained and licensed pest management professional. What are the special skills needed to determine if your home has a termite infestation? In addition to a deep understanding of termite biology and behavior, knowledge of building construction practices is needed to identify hidden and often difficult-to-access areas where termites are likely to enter and establish nests.
Playing hard to get
Did you know that only 25 to 35 percent of the interior space of a typical home is accessible to inspect for termites? That leaves 65 percent of your home available to termites and wood-destroying pests (e.g., wood-boring beetles, carpenter ants, and carpenter bees) to go about their destructive behavior.
Fall is drywood termite season, and it’s important to stay ahead of these termites, and their subterranean termite cousins, by getting an annual termite inspection. Having a trained professional who knows where to look and what to look will give you peace of mind.
Clark Pest Control termite inspectors focus their expert eyes on the most vulnerable areas of a structure. Our inspectors will start at the foundation and work their way upward, examining every crack, crevice, and potential termite entry point. They will examine the points where 40 percent of subterranean termite infestations originate: utility entrances through slabs, places where the foundation has settled, and expansion cracks in the slab.
If Clark Pest Control inspectors identify the presence of termites or wood-destroying pests and organisms in your home, they will first determine the source of the infestation and then provide you with treatment recommendations. They also will make recommendations for any necessary repair work for damage because of the infestation.
Termite prevention tips
In addition to scheduling an annual termite inspection, you can help protect your home against destructive termites and other wood-destroying pests by taking these preventive actions:
· Fill in cracks in your masonry or concrete, and repair or replace damaged exterior wood.
·Divert moisture away from your home’s foundation by installing properly functioning downspouts, gutters, and splash blocks.
·When watering your lawn and plants, don't sprinkle stucco or wood siding.
· Reduce humidity in crawl spaces and attics with proper ventilation.
· Keep vines, hedges, and other vegetation trimmed and away from your home to prevent them from blocking vents.
· Remove old form boards, grade stakes, tree trunks, and roots near your home, as they can attract subterranean termites.
· Avoid using mulch against a home’s foundation, as it retains moisture and is an attractant to termites. Use a stone or gravel barrier around the foundation.
· Maintain an 18-inch gap between soil and any wood portions of your home.
For maximum protection against termites, ask about Clark Pest Control’s exclusive Termite Infestation Protection (T.I.P.) program, which is designed tocover your home from future infestations and damages caused by all species of termites.
Clark Pest Control remains committed to safeguarding your home from pests during these challenging times. Our service technicians use such personal protective equipment as gloves, masks, and respirators, they practice social distancing, they call ahead to notify you before a service, and they adhere strictly to all Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines when servicing inside or outside your home.
If you’re concerned about termites threatening your home, call or text California’s trusted, friendly pest management expert, Clark, at (800) WE-NEED-YOU (936-3339) or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.