By: Fred Speer
Clark Pest Control
Having a pest problem is never fun, regardless if it’s ants in your kitchen or flies hovering over the weekend family barbecue. Your first thought is either to look up pest control companies on the web, or dust off that phone book. When looking for a pest control company, you’re going to find many that offer the same services, but how do you know that you’re choosing the right company to handle your pest control needs?
Here are five things you will need to know before making your decision:
1. Licensed – Is this company licensed, and is its license up to date? A licensed pest control operator knows its pest control materials, knows the law and knows appropriate safety measures.
2. Treatment Methods – Will this pest control company discuss all its treatment methods with you? From a consumer standpoint, you want to know what the company’s game plan is: Does it offer alternative methods and techniques, such as integrated pest management (IPM) and softer, greener options, or is it a “hose jockey” operation that will spray gallons of pesticide all over your property?
3. Reputation – How does one pest control company stack up against the next? Is the company a Better Business Bureau member, and what is its score?
4. Proper Insurance – Does the company have appropriate insurance? Insurance is important. In the event of an accident, you as a consumer need to know that you are protected! It’s always a good practice to ask for proof of insurance.
5. Guarantee - Does this company guarantee its work? What is its warranty? Can it provide that guarantee in writing? Always be wary about a company that doesn’t guarantee its work or provide a warranty.