Doing your own pest control can be tempting, as it’s a cost-effective and convenient solution for dealing with pest problems. That, however, is not always true.
Clark, your friendly pest, mosquito, rodent, and termite – and grounds care – expert, would like to remind you that when you attempt to treat a pest problem on your own, you’re often treating the tip of the iceberg rather than the root cause of the problem.
Pests that are visible might be eliminated, but in most cases, a larger pest population lurks out of sight in a wall void, attic, or inside a pantry.
Seven reasons to avoid doing it yourself
To better understand why working with a pest management professional is your best option, Clark offers the following information as you weigh your options to eliminate the ants in your kitchen or the mice in the garage.
- Cost: It might seem more convenient and less expensive to purchase pest control products at your local home improvement or hardware store than it would be to hire a pest management professional. The initial investment in hiring a professional might be more expensive but could be less expensive in the long run. Buying the wrong product and then applying it incorrectly will not only fail to eliminate the pests but could cause damage to your home.
- Knowledge: You get what you pay for. An experienced and knowledgeable pest management professional will be able to quickly identify and recommend treatment options. They will also be able to answer your pest-related questions and share tips on how to prevent further issues. Their experience and expertise will help protect your home and family from potentially harmful pests.
- Risk: Applying any over-the-counter product carries risk. If you are not experienced, you potentially could cause harm to humans, pets, plants, or yourself. Hiring a licensed pest management professional reduces risk, because they are trained in where and how to properly apply products that target only the pests to be eliminated.
- Damage: Untrained application of pest control products can lead to unintended damage to your property, such as staining, discoloration, or deterioration of surfaces.
- Effectiveness: For minor pest problems, over-the-counter products can yield a short-term positive result, but will not address the root cause of a pest problem. Eliminating larger, more invasive pest infestations requires a much deeper pest management toolbox, one that only a licensed and highly trained professional can supply.
- Warranty and guarantees: If you attempt to control pests yourself and the problem persists or worsens, you may lose the opportunity to take advantage of warranties or guarantees offered by your pest control company.
- Environmental concerns: Misusing or overusing pesticides can also have adverse effects on the environment. It may harm beneficial insects and pollinators, and even contaminate soil and water sources.
Got pest questions? Call Clark
If you have questions on what a licensed, highly trained pest management professional can do to prevent and solve your pest issue, call California’s trusted, pest management expert, Clark, at (800) WE-NEED-YOU (936-3339) or email us at email@example.com.
Until next time, the pest management professionals at Clark Pest Control thank you for helping to keep unwanted pests out of your home.