Fun with bugs? That's right! Clark Pest Control has developed a program for grades 3rd through 6th to learn fun facts and get a chance to interact with some of the
coolest bugs on the planet. Some of the topics covered are:
- Geographical locations
- Their natural defenses
- What they eat
- Each species' technical name
This program is a free service provided by Clark Pest Control and is offered to
private and public schools. Presentations take 1 hour. Set up and take down is in
total 20 minutes or less.
After the students listen to the presentation, they will be divided into small groups
to participate in station activities including the Bug-logy page, Bug Match, Bug
Discovery and going to the table in small groups to view each specimen that was
discussed in the presentation. Our display includes:
- Tarantulas: Versi-color, Chaco Golden Knee and Brazilian Black.
These stay in a protected enclosure; tarantulas may be taken out by a
trained Clark handler for an up-close view.
- Scorpions: Emperor and Red Claw scorpion - Handling is done by the trained Clark
- Madagascar Hissing cockroaches: Due to their docile behavior and
cleanliness, students may be able to handle one or view from a
handler's hand up close.
- Cave Spider (Tail-less Whip Scorpion): Students may view up close
while being held on natural habitat.
- Vinegaroon (Whip Scorpion): Due to their docile behavior, students may
choose to hold or view from handler's hand.
- Others: (non-bug related) reptiles and more …
The presentation will conclude (time permitting) with a handling demo of an adult
female Chaco Golden Knee Tarantula. Petting is allowed to those who want to
participate and goodie bags with insect tattoos, activity and coloring booklet and
The Bug Zoo has been seen on Good Day Sacramento, the 2011 April edition of San
Joaquin Kids, World of Wonders Science Museum and The Lodi Grape Festival.
Click here to view the San Joaquin Kids Magazine article.